Thursday, February 12, 2009

Moods of the Present Tense

Honestly speaking, I don't fully understand the nature of "moods," but I do know that the Arabic present tense has three of them.

*******************************************************************************
المُضارِع المَرفوع The Standard Present Tense / Al-MuDaariع Al-Marfuuع

This is the "general use" mood, and it's also used for the future tense (with a prefix or preceding word). It's marked by a
ُُ ضَمّة Damma (short vowel "u") on the final consonant of the verb:
يَفْعَلُ

*******************************************************************************
المُضارِع المَنْصوب The Subjunctive / Al-MuDaariع Al-ManSuub

The subjunctive is marked by a
َ فَتْحة fatHa (short vowel "a") on the final consonant:
يَفْعَلَ


It's used following several particles. The three most common of these are:

أَنْ "To"
As in: "I want to," "I need to," "I like to," etc.

أُريدُ أَنْ أَجْلِسَ I want to sit (Ureedu an ajlisa)




*******************************************************************************
المُضارِع المَجْزوم The Jussive / Al-MuDaariع Al-Majzuum




Work in progress : )

3 comments:

Emily de Vorsay said...

Thanks for putting this up here. I'm going to Egypt in a few months, and my goal is at very least to get the Arabic alphabet and corresponding sounds down before I get there.

wahida said...

Hi, I'm so jealous! I reaaaallly want to go to Egypt someday.

I probably won't be too much help here with basic alphabet stuff and spoken dialect, but if you check out the links I think there's some helpful stuff there, like ArEg Egyptian Arabic. Also, the book "Alif Baa: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds" in the book list is what I used, and I think it should be fine if you're studying on your own.

Good luck in Egypt!

wahida said...

PS---in Arabic, Egypt is "MaSr" or "MiSr"....مصر

: )

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates